In just a few weeks CrossFit headquarters will announce the first workout of the 2022 NOBULL CrossFit Games Open. What is the Open? I was hoping you’d ask!
The Open is a competition with a series of workouts spaced across three weeks. Athletes can do the workouts from anywhere: home, vacation, or their local gym. The workouts are released on the CrossFit Games website on Thursdays at 12pm Pacific Time/2pm Central time. You will have until Monday at 5pm Pacific Time/7pm Central Time to complete the workout and submit your score online. Then you can see where you stack up against the world, your age group, and within your division by visiting the CrossFit Games Leaderboard:
There are several options for each workout so every athlete can find a way to be challenged, but not discouraged.
- Rx’d – This means doing the workouts as written. This is the most challenging option.
- Age Groups – There are nine age groups that have Rx’d and scaled versions of the workouts for athletes anywhere from 14-17 to 35+.
- Adaptive – This division offers challenging workouts for athletes that have any significant or permanent impairment. These divisions include Upper Extremity, Lower Extremity, Seated with Hip Function, Neuromuscular, and more.
- Scaled – If you’re not quite ready to tackle the workouts as they’re written, then no worries! The scaled division offers classic scaling options for many common CrossFit movements.
- Foundations – Even athletes brand new to CrossFit can participate! The Foundations Division is a great place to start.
While the ultimate goal of the CrossFit Open is to crown the Fittest on Earth, the real gold is found in the sense of community. This is where Friday Night Lights comes in!
FNL is a weekly event held on Friday nights for the duration of the CrossFit Open. This year it starts on February 25th. Eximo sets up a competition style format and FNL athletes will complete the Open workout for that week in a series of heats, with specified movement standards and judges.
The focus is less on competition (although there’s plenty of that) and more on celebrating each other’s accomplishments. You not only complete the weekly workouts, but you also earn points for your team through other weekly challenges. The Open is three weeks of hard work, solidarity, and a ton of fun!
Let us know if you’d like to participate. Everyone is welcome! Just write your name on the board so we can get you on a team. Team shirts will be made. Click here for the order form:
Shirt designs will come out once the team names have been finalized. The deadline to order is February 4, 2022.